There are several reasons why asphalt shingles are one of the most popular residential roofing materials in North America. They’re cost-effective and durable, and can handle a wide range of harsh climates. While asphalt shingles play an important role in protecting your home from the elements, they’re not the only components with an essential function. There are many others, including:
- Asphalt shingles – Shingles have two main functions: repel water and enhance your exterior’s curb appeal. Since asphalt roofing shingles serve as your home’s first line of defense against the elements, you need to choose high-quality shingles. Not sure about the shingles’ quality? When in doubt, it’s best to stick to reputable brands like GAF.
- Underlayment – The underlayment is installed between the shingles and wooden deck, and serves as a secondary barrier against water.
- Ice and water barriers – Additional ice and water barriers are installed in the roof valley – the section where two roofs meet and water is diverted to before flowing to the gutter system – and other vulnerable sections of your roof.
- Starter strip products – These provide the first row of sealant that helps asphalt shingles resist wind uplift and prevents water from seeping underneath the shingles.
- Hip and ridge products – Hip and ridge products bridge the two roof slopes together to prevent water from infiltrating your roof. They also serve a cosmetic function: they put the finishing touches on your roof’s exterior design.
- Ventilation system – An asphalt roof should have a balanced ventilation system, which means the amount of space dedicated to air intake must be the same as the space dedicated for air exhaust. Otherwise, trapped heat can prematurely age the shingles.
Making the Most of Your Roof Replacement
Homeowners that install a GAF Lifetime Shingle and at least three qualifying GAF Accessories can take advantage of the company’s lifetime warranties on residential roofing shingles and all qualifying GAF accessories as well as non-prorated coverage for the first 10 years.
Want to learn more about GAF’s exclusive warranties?
Hershey Exteriors, a GAF Certified roofing contractor, offers a wide range of professional exterior services, including roof and siding replacement services. To get a free estimate, call us at (302) 569-9039, or fill out this form.