Before you can fully enjoy the many advantages provided by a new roof installation, you’ll need to carefully plan for the actual installation day itself. You can expect your choice of roofing contractor to do most of the work – from old roof removal and replacement to post-installation cleanup – but there are still a few things you can do to make the process run even more smoothly. This means taking a proactive approach in preparing your home for the upcoming work.
Preparing the Inside of Your Home
The roofing crew may be working outside on your roof, but their foot traffic – along with their nailing the shingles on the roof structure – create vibrations that may affect the whole building. You’ll want your valuables to be safe and intact against short-term damage, so make sure to prepare your home interior accordingly. For instance, you should:
- Clear the attic of any fragile or sentimental items. The attic is usually the safest spot for storing antiques or breakable objects, such as Christmas ornaments and figurines. But if you’re having a new roof installed, the attic becomes the last place where you want these items stored. Take them down to the ground floor in the meantime, and then just put them back once the project is done.
- While you’re there in the attic, lay down tarps, or cover anything else up with drop cloths to protect the space from dust accumulation.
- Keep the windows safe from fallen roof debris by having your roofing contractor board them up.
- We’ve mentioned how vibrations can potentially damage valuables inside your home. For this reason, make sure to remove any decorations (such as mirrors and framed photos) from your walls as well as any hanging lights from the ceiling way ahead of time. Do the same thing for any items placed on loose or open shelving. Items that are specially fragile, such as china plates, teacups and vases, should be taken down from their shelves. If not, you should at least make sure they’re not touching the wall or each other.
Preparing the Outside of Your Home
Before your residential and commercial roofing contractor arrives for the project, you must:
- Keep the driveway clear. That’s because this section of your property is often used as the staging area for the new roofing materials. The dumpster that will hold the old roofing materials and debris is generally placed on the driveway as well to ensure a smooth flow between it and the work site. To keep your driveway intact, preventing any cracks and ruts, make sure the dumpster and the new roofing materials are placed over sheets of plywood.
- Make sure you and your roofing contractor are on the same page about protecting any special areas in your property. These may include the pool, outdoor hot tub, pond and vegetable garden. Marking any fragile and valuable plants, trees and bushes so the roofing crew can give them a wide berth will also help.
- Mow your lawn beforehand. This way, any stray nails and sharp leftover debris will be easily noticeable, making them easier to remove and avoid. The safety of everyone should always be given priority, especially in major projects like these.
- Park your vehicles on the other side of the street. This not only makes the work site easily accessible to the roofing crew, this also protects your cars from any flying debris. It would make sense to just store them inside the garage, but this space is usually uninsulated, so there’s still a chance that shingle granules and old roofing debris will drop through the roof and onto your motor vehicle.
Where to Find High-Quality Roofing Services
Hiring a reliable contractor is one of the biggest decisions you’ll have to make in a new roof installation. DIY work, after all, is out of the question. Plenty of things can happen during a roof installation, and they’re mostly bad if you don’t have the necessary skills and experience. So, make it easy on yourself, and work with a trustworthy roofing company instead.
For many homeowners in the Ocean View area, that will be Hershey Exteriors, Inc. We’re not just your go-to company for siding replacement – we’ll be more than happy to take on your roof installation as well. Here’s what makes us the top choice for your roof upgrade:
- Credentialed: Hershey Exteriors, Inc ensures your greater protection. We are a fully licensed, bonded, and insured company (with significant workers’ compensation and liability coverage), making us qualified to perform roofing and exterior work in Sussex County, DE. Our familiarity with local codes and regulations also means your roof installation will always be completed to the necessary safety standards.
- Experienced: You can always expect high-quality results from Hershey Exteriors, Inc. From storm damage repair and new roof installation to gutter replacement and commercial roof maintenance, we definitely have you covered. Our workmanship is backed by intensive training, manufacturer certifications and over 12 years of industry experience. You’re sure that every project, no matter the size or complexity, will be done perfectly right the first time.
- Well-Reviewed: Hershey Exteriors, Inc works hard to not only meet your expectations, but to also exceed them. We’ll give your roof installation the full attention it deserves, and if you have any questions or concerns, we’re always ready and able to address them. We believe that a project is only truly successful when you’re completely happy with the results. This dedication to customer-first service is one of the reasons we continue to earn five-star ratings in Google My Business from satisfied clients.
- Certified: At Hershey Exteriors, Inc., we are proud to be a GAF Certified roofing contractor. That’s because this distinction allows us to provide you with only the highest quality products and services, ensuring that your new roofing system will deliver the superior, long-lasting weather performance you expect. Not only that, we can also add an extra layer of protection to your investment through our industry-leading GAF roofing warranties.
Schedule a Roof Evaluation
While you may know Hershey Exteriors, Inc best as a specialist in storm damage repair, you can still count on us to handle your roof installation needs. In fact, we’ll make sure your project goes on safely and smoothly, from start to finish. We proudly serve Ocean View, DE, Ocean City, MD, and all the areas in between. Call us today at (302) 569-9039, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!