There are many factors to consider when investing in a roof replacement. The quality of the roofing material is one, and the warranty coverage included with the new system is another one. But what’s probably the most important is your choice of roofing contractor. Given how a roof replacement will take a considerable amount of your time and money, you’ll want to work with a professional that can deliver more than satisfactory results. But how exactly do you go about finding the one that’s a good match for your needs?
Start by Asking for Referrals
Since almost everything is online these days, looking for a good roofing company has become easier. You can instantly find a list of potential names by doing a quick search. But then you have to go through that extensive list until you find what you need. Why not make it easier by taking the old-fashioned route, which is asking family and friends for referrals? These actually provide a clearer and more accurate idea of what your experience will be like with a given company.
Choose a Local Roofer
There may be a bigger, more famous roofing contractor out-of-town, but you’ll do well to choose someone from your community – and there are plenty of reasons why! First off, these pros literally work near you, which means travel time won’t be a problem. They’ll arrive promptly at the scheduled time, reducing the potential for unnecessary delays. Second, they are already familiar with the area’s building codes and regulations, which means they also know the ins and outs of building permit acquisition. Third, local residential and commercial roofing contractors will be more personable than their out-of-town counterparts, so they’ll give your project the full attention it deserves. And, fourth, it’s easier to follow up with a local roofer if you have concerns about the quality of their work – they’re only a short drive away, after all.
Check for the Necessary Credentials
Did you finally get a few good names from referrals? You can narrow them down further with a bit of background checking. Do this before picking the phone to schedule a consultation. The research part is simple enough; you only need to:
- Check for a physical business address, working phone or email, and an updated website.
- Make sure the pros have the necessary business license that makes them eligible to perform roofing work in your area. Do they have insurance, including workers’ compensation and liability coverage? These essentials help protect you should anything go awry during the project.
- Check if they’ve earned manufacturer certifications, which serve as a badge of honor among roofers. Being a manufacturer certified residential roofing company shows the company’s commitment to delivering high-quality roofing solutions and ongoing education and training.
- Look them up on prominent trade organizations, such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Confirm whether they’re an Accredited Business, with satisfactory scores and an A+ Rating.
Interview Your Choice of Roofing Contractor
If your potential roofer checks all the boxes in the credentials list, you should move on to interviewing the person. You can either do this face-to-face or virtually – whatever works best for you. It’s generally a better idea to always be on the same page with your choice of roofing contractor. That’s why you should prepare a set of important questions to ask. Here are some of them:
- Can I get a written estimate? Any project estimate, whether it’s a roof replacement or siding installation, should always be put in writing. This way, you can easily pore over every detail, such as the cost of roofing material and labor, and whether extra repair work will be necessary before roof installation can start. It’s crucial that you’re able to see what’s going into your total new roof costs. Are there expenses that seem out of place? Make sure to ask your roofer about it.
- Will a complete tear-off be necessary? You’ll want to have the old roofing system completely removed before having the new one installed. This helps prevent premature aging in your new roof and ensures the roof structure will remain sturdy and intact. A tear-off also allows for better attic ventilation and eliminates the potential of voiding warranty coverage. A reliable roofing company will include the tear-off as part of the total project cost. If it’s not included in the written estimate, ask for it to be updated to reflect the true cost of your roof replacement.
- How will you protect my home and property? Ask your selected pros about the measures they’ll take to minimize the possibility of unnecessary damage and mess during the project. A dependable roofing and siding contractor like Hershey Exteriors, LLC uses ladder stabilizers or standoffs to keep your gutters from getting damaged. We’ll make sure the placement of every equipment and our traffic patterns will keep your landscaping and siding intact. Plus, we’ll perform a thorough post-installation cleanup to ensure there are no stray nails or debris left around your property.
- Will you handle debris disposal? Old roofing shingles, rotten plywood and other debris generated during the roof replacement still have to go somewhere. Ask your roofers if they’re bringing a dumpster or trash container to the worksite for this purpose. Note: it’s not up to the homeowners to provide their own container or handle the post-installation cleanup.
- Can you tell me about your bad weather plan? With exterior projects like a roof replacement, you’ll have to contend with a possible downpour. That’s why you should ask your roofing contractors if they have a bad weather plan in place, such as tarping the exposed areas of the roof to keep the home’s interior dry and damage-free.
Hershey Exteriors, LLC is your go-to company for the highest quality roof replacement services. We are fully licensed, bonded and insured. When you turn to us for your roof repair or replacement, you can expect only superior workmanship backed by over 12 years of industry experience. Complete client satisfaction is also one of our top priorities – and the A+ Rating we’ve earned from the BBB is testament of this.
What’s more, we are a GAF Certified Weather Stopper® Roofing Contractor. This means you’ll have access to some of the highest quality shingle residential roofing systems available today. Not only are they designed to deliver exceptional, long-lasting weather performance, they also come in a wide selection of colors, thicknesses and textures. Some can even mimic the natural, timeless beauty of premium materials, such as wood shakes and slate, allowing for almost limitless design possibilities. In addition, our GAF roofing comes with solid warranty coverage to better protect you and your investment.
When you work with us for this project, you can always expect a smooth and stress-free experience. We serve the areas in and around Ocean View, Bethany Beach and Lewes, DE. Call us today at (302) 569-9039, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.